The electrical wiring in your home or business is of the utmost importance. When it is faulty or outdated, it can lead to a variety of consequences. In the best-case scenario, faulty electrical wiring can be inconvenient, causing issues like flickering lights. At worst, it can be dangerous and expensive. Faulty wiring could potentially start a fire or cause damage to your appliances. That’s why it’s crucial to be able to spot the signs of electrical wiring problems.
Here are five key signs that indicate when your electrical problems may have something to do with the wiring:
- Circuit Breaker Tripping – If your circuit breaker trips once in a while, that shouldn’t necessarily alarm you. But if it trips frequently, this is a likely sign that something is wrong with your electrical wiring, and it needs to be resolved promptly.
- Burning Odor – A burning odor can be caused by many things, such as a clogged air filter or a toaster, for instance. However, if you can’t pinpoint where the odor is coming from, it may be worth it to call an electrician to check the wiring.
- Discolored Outlets – You shouldn’t see any black marks or other discoloration on your outlets. If you do, the wiring may be burning it and require professional attention.
- Hot Switch Plates or Outlets – Switch plates and outlets should be cold to the touch or room temperature. If they are heating up, unplug all cords from the outlet and contact an electrician.
- Buzzing Sounds – You shouldn’t be able to hear the evidence of electricity in your home, so any buzzing noises should be addressed by a professional
Contact us here at Buckingham Electric Inc. if you need us to inspect or repair your electrical wiring.